Wednesday, October 22, 2014

How I change my infusion site

I've been pumping for over 1 year now & I've learned a lot of neat things to speed up the process & make it easier!

I tried to make a video or two of me changing my pump, but my cat Sampson tends to steal my spotlight--So VICTORY IS MINE HA!

Any who, here's my detailed insulin pump site changing process:

1.) I start off by taking my old site off, cleaning it with an alcohol swab & taking a shower (I can have my pump off for no more than an hour w/o BG starting to rise--So I enjoy my limited freedom \(^_^)/ )

2.)  After my shower, I prepare my new site my shaving (Do this before shower if you do take one--It'll be less painful when you apply alcohol swab later), then I start the changing of the new site. I first fill up my 3.0 ML reservoir to the end (300 Units). I fill to the max because I was always ran out of insulin quick & I always get 3-4 days too). I use the "gravity method", which I saw someone else do in a video about a year ago--I let it go halfway, then I aide it to speed up the process.

3.) I then REWIND my pump (if requested I'll edit this is super detailed mode & explain how to rewind)

4. ) While my pump is rewinding, I wipe my new site with a alcohol swb & I  open my Mio Infusion set (by pulling the red tab off, then the wrapper & lastly the back silver tab))

5.) Ok, [my pump should be rewound by now] my Mio has the tubing wrapped in a spiral-way & I need to unwrap it. To do this, I take the bit of tubing "dangling: (I call it) T (GENITALLY) press down & start unwinding it.

6.) Now I place the end of tubing in the end of my reservoir by pressing the end of the reservoir easily then twist it once & you'll hear a click.

7.) I wipe my site with an adhesive-aide

8.) I then prime the tubing & get the Mio ready for insertion. To do that all I do is hold the Mio with one hand & cock it back.

9.) I then insert by pressing the two indention's on each side of the Mio. I then press the top of the set to ensure the canula got in Ok  then pull the set ou.

10.) I then smooth adhesive.

11.) I then fill canula.

I wait 30 mins to an hour & check BG, then wair another 20-30 mins & if it is lower the site is a go! I do not eat during this time period.

I hope this helps those who are thinking about pumping in making your decision. I know it seems like a lot, but it soon becomes the norm.

If you like this, share it please & feel free to subscribe :)
Also follow me on Twitter @Insulin_Junkie8

*Remember, November is Diabetes Awareness month!*

No comments:

Post a Comment