Friday, April 1, 2016

Decade With Diabetes: Time For Reflection




As of March 24, 2016, I have been a type one diabetic for 1 decade. This entry is simply me reflecting on my journey thus far. Allow me, if you will, to walk you down memory lane for a few minutes. I want you to walk with me, diabetic or not, as I tell you this story & hopefully raise awareness on this chronic nightmare I have lived for so long, yet seems like yesterday. Let's begin, shall we?

I grew up in a family full of diabetics, so I knew of the disease well & never imagined, as a child, I would have it. I grew up a child out of Virginia who loved to eat (no, eating too much did not cause my diabetes). I dealt with weight issues as a child. My family talks about my glory days (life before diabetes). They always say that they had suspicious about me being diabetic, but never acted. I had most of the symptoms of diabetes (VERY thirsty, urinated a lot. blurred vision, fatigue).

March 23, 2006, my mother & I went t my dad's house for dinner. My dad randomly suggested he check my blood sugar, because he was curious. Growing up, I HATED needles, so I trued to not get it checked, but ended up letting him. It was a One Touch Delta Meter. It did the countdown, 4, 3, 2, 1... 464 mg/dl. I have never seen both of my parents speechless at the same time before until then. I washed my hands & rechecked & was 462 mg/dl. Mom called my grandmother (her mother) & told her the news & she was heartbroken, as we all were. I had my last meal with my parents as a "normal" child, for the next day, my journey with Type One Diabetes would begin.


March 24, 2006, feels like it was only yesterday almost. I often speak to youth at a camp I work at during the Summer about my struggles I have faced during my life thus far, & every time I speak I mention how March 24, 2006 was one if not the worst day of my life.I woke up early that morning & went straight PCP. He checked my blood sugar yet again & said I was a Type One diabetic. Hearing him say that floored myself & my parents. He called & arranged me an appointment with my first endocrinologist, Dr. Patricia Powers, whom I loved having for the 6 years left of adolescence. She was blunt & to-the-point, which is what I needed. She gave me a crash course n type one diabetes & what had to be done to manage it.  She went out & came back with my first "insulin bag" I called it. I was a camouflage case that had everything I needed to get started. It had a one touch delta meter like the one dad used on me, 10 strips, pamphlets & pen needles. She then went & got me my first insulin flexpen, Novalog. She wanted me to start insulin immediately to start bringing down my blood sugar. Me, still shy of needles, asked my om to give me my first shot of insulin, so she did.I immediately burst out of the room in tears. Mom thought she hurt me, so she too cried. It all hit me at once I guess. That first injection made me realize that the life I once knew was no more & all the information I was told & the stress of it all just imploded at once. I remember going home that night & I felt like I was in a trance of sorts & was just not happy at all.


The below photo is me & my granny, three years after my diagnosis (age 15)
Three years i & I had learned so much already. I had changed my daily routine & lost a lot of weight. My family started to interject their opinions from time to time at this time that bothered me, a lot.Here I was three years into my journey & they questioned my decisions (still do some today). I felt betrayed at the time I did, but now I realize they cared & loved me & still do.


Here is me now (Age 21). I have came so far & learned so much about diabetes. I am very proud of who I have become as a person & as diabetic. I take great care of my diabetes (I struggle some, I am human), but my current adult endocrinologist continues to praise me on how well I manage my diabetes & how she wishes all her patients tried like I do.

Like I said, I grew up surrounded by diabetes, so I've seen the bad side of it 7 I vowed myself I would not end of that way with mine. My drive to fight this is simply to never give up & try my best each day. I know I will die with diabetes, but I will not die because of it.




No comments:

Post a Comment