Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Is An Insulin Pump A Good Idea?

"Pumping Ain't easy" is what my T-shirt (from Type 1 Diabetes Memes Online store) says & it can't be further more from the truth. I've been on my Medtronic Minimed Paradigm 723 Insulin Pump for over a year now & I love it, but there are some cons to a pump. At the beginning (pre-pumper), I was timid about getting a pump because I used to be one of those people who are afraid to step out of their comfort zone & try something new. I joined the Medtronic Insulin Pump group, since that was the pump type I was getting so  I figured I'd join to get help & advice  w& they helped me overcome my fears & step out of my comfort zone & try something new.  I'm going to list the pros & the cons & give my opinion on if a pump is a good tool for diabetes management. **All of the following is based on my personal experience & opinion, if you have concerns after reading this, please consult your endocrinologist/doctor/CDE**


PROS :) : There are more pros than cons (In my opinion)

  • No more shots! My biggest attraction to the idea of pumping was the thought of now more injections! I was taking 4 injections every single day & after 7 years of doing so, it got tiresome.
  • (On that note) Less needles! Like I mentioned, I was doing 4 shots a day which used a lot of needles. With an Insulin Pump, you only change your pump every 2-3 days I've managed 4-5 here & there)
  • Better control: With a flexpen/syringe, you could only do dosages in 1 unit increments. With syringes I hear you can, but I think it would be hard. This can cause occasional lows. With a Insulin Pump, you can give insulin in 0.5 unit dosages.
  • Closer to having an actual pancreas. The pancreas's job is to constantly excrete insulin to cover carbs. The insulin pump does the same thing! I like to say "I wear my pancreas on my belt"
  • everything comes along with you (only need your meter). 
  • It's out in the open so you can talk about it (or play mystery games - What IS that thing?) use it as way to educate others 
  • On that note, I've noticed personally if you spot another diabetic, you are BFF's instantly :)

Thanks to Terri Milesyo for the last three bullets

Cons :( :

  • BENT CANULAS!  one of the [few] things I hate about a pump is the chance of bent canulas. A canula is the plastic tube inside you that delivers the insulin. If the canula gets bent, little or no insulin is delivered, thus causing high glucose levels  (this happened to me this morning. Went to bed after changing my pump site was 110 mg/dl. woke up 192 mg/dl. I was confused but decided to eat breakfast & wait. Well 30 minutes later I started to feel nauseous & was 241 that quick!). 
  • The main con really is only regarding the infusion sets. They can bend (canula), tubing can break off (rarely) & can go in awkwardly.
  • Unless you use an Omnipod (tubeless pump), tubing gets caught on everything! I just tuck my tubing in my pants or pockets & pull enough to be able to access my pump (I keep it on a belt clip most of the time)

MY OPINION:

Is a pump for you? Everyone is different, but I think everyone should inquire about one, because it can be really beneficial to diabetes management. I left no stone unturned when doing the pros & cons, because I want you to know what to expect. If I had t ]o rate my experience thus far as a pumper I would rate it 9/10 only due to the sets being iffy at times. 

If you do decide to get a pump please let me know :)! Tweet me at @Insulin_Junkie8 or email me at thberger61794@gmail.com! Feel free to comment below or share this or subscribe to my blog! Feel free to sign up to get my blogz365 letter (info on upcoming blogs & new projects i'm working on)! 

If you are interested in buying a t-shirt from Type 1 Diabetes Memes, COPY & PASTE THE FOLLOWING LINK: http://type1diabetesmemes.spreadshirt.com/






2 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved my pump. But a pump is extensive device that medicare feels I don't need.

    ReplyDelete